The Hillsboro Inlet Bridge Rehabilitation Project in Broward County is located on SR A1A connecting the City of Pompano Beach to the Town of Hillsboro Beach. This project was awarded on May 27, 2014, to PCL Civil Constructors, Inc. The project included:
- The replacing sections of the approach slabs,
- Installing pedestrian railing, curb construction,
- Removing & replacing roadway grating on the bascule spans,
- The installation of new traffic barriers,
- The installation of a new electrical system, retrofitting the existing mechanical system,
- Retrofitting secondary reducer,
- The construction of new ladders & platforms for the pier,
- Control house modifications, painting & rehabilitation of steel structural members, and
- Class V finish to the concrete surface, paving and miscellaneous concrete.
Calvin, Giordano & Associates, Inc. CEI team was in charge of administering and monitoring the construction contract and execution of the contractor activities on behalf of the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), following standard specifications and technical provisions established for the Bridge Rehabilitation. CEI operations included, but were not limited to:
- Estimates preparation for contractor’s progress payments,
- Remediation of contractor’s requests for information not shown in the contract documents or changes required due to constructability issues or conflicts,
- Negotiation and execution of contract change orders,
- Daily inspections and reports,
- Materials and processes testing,
- Progress meetings with the construction team and government agencies, and
- Filing and record keeping.
The original contract completion date was November 13, 2015, which is three hundred and thirteen (313) calendar days from the Notice to Proceed (NTP) date. The project was completed on Dec. 27, 2015, for $7,765,531.75.